Cold and flu season is upon us!! If you're like me and try to avoid modern medications at all costs, this is the perfect remedy for you. Elderberries (Sambucus nigra) have been used in folk remedies for ages and have a multitude of benefits and uses. Ranging from lowering cholesterol to boosting the immune system, elderberries are one heck of a source for some real plant powered healing! With these beautiful little berries being full of antioxidants and other immune boosting molecules such as vitamin C, it aids in protecting your body's cells from being infected by the cold and flu viruses.
This recipe for elderberry syrup can be taken at the time of a cough, cold, or flu or taken every morning (1 Tbsp.) as a preventative measure. It can also be used to sweeten your tea (or cocktails if you're over 21+ :) ) or even as a yummy, healthy syrup for some fresh pancakes and waffles.
This particular recipe is full of immune-boosting herbs :)
Homemade Immune-Boosting Elderberry Syrup
- Add herbs to atleast 2 cups of water (or enough to cover the herbs) and let it simmer on low heat for 1 hour (or until the water reduces by half)
- Pour the mixture through a strainer, squeezing out any excess juices
- Return the strained mixture to the pot and add 1 cup of honey
- **Add enough FOOD-GRADE vegetable glycerin to be about 30% v/v of the mixture (this increases the shelf life)
- After honey (and vegetable glycerin) is dissolved, strain syrup through cheesecloth and pour into clean, sterile jars.
Store in a cool, dark cupboard or in the refrigerator
2 oz. dried elderberries
1/2 oz. rose hips
1/2 oz. boneset
1/2 oz. chamomile
1/2 oz. yarrow
1/2 oz. echinacea root
1/2 oz. rose petals
1 cup honey (preferably local, raw, unfiltered honey (can be substituted for agave or other liquid sweetener of choice)
FOOD-GRADE vegetable glycerin**
***These statements and products and have not been approved by the FDA. Any information provided on this site is not intended to diagnose, cure, or treat and specific disease and is not a replacement for medical care.***